Bombardier to invest $22 million into tech research projects

Bombardier to invest $22 million into tech research projects

Bombardier is investing $22 million (Canadian dollars/CAD) over a three-year period into two major aerospace research projects: Aéro21 and the third phase of the SA²GE project.

Bombardier to invest $22 million into tech research projects

Both projects will bring together large aerospace companies and SMEs, as well as local universities and research centres.

Aéro21 aims to facilitate the implementation of 21st-century technologies in the Québec aerospace sector and is expected to generate $65 million (CAD) of investments over three years.

Twenty-four companies will be providing 75% of the funds for Aéro21, including CAD 18.75 million from Bombardier. The Government of Québec will invest the remaining 25%.

Bombardier’s participation will focus on expanding the use of computerised models to test various aircraft systems and components from the design phase through certification, in an effort to bring new aerospace products to market at a faster pace and reduce development costs.

SA²GE

SA²GE (Smart Affordable Green Efficient) was first launched in 2010 and is dedicated to developing smarter, more efficient and effective technologies, while reducing the environmental footprint of the aerospace industry.

Four sub-projects were selected for the third phase of SA²GE, including one called AILE (Aile intelligente et légère pour l’environnement), which was proposed by Bombardier along with four other industry partners. The focus of this sub-project is to develop multi-functional wings for business and commercial aircraft that will optimise aerodynamics and weight to reduce cost and fuel consumption. Bombardier plans to invest CAD 3.6 million in AILE, which will be matched by the Government of Québec.

François Caza, Chief Technology Officer, Bombardier Inc., said: “Through this strong alliance between industry, government and researcher partners, we are proud to not only push the limits of technology and build greener, more efficient aircraft, but to also increase the competitiveness of the Québec aerospace industry.”

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter 

Join The Discussion